Where's the Donuts?

Roots Rock Fishline 25k

Previous WeekRecent EntriesHomeJoin Fast Running Blog Community!PredictorHealthy RecipesDavid Nelson's RacesFind BlogsMileage BoardTop Ten Excuses for Missing a RunTop Ten Training MistakesDiscussion ForumRace Reports Send A Private MessageMonth View
Graph View
Next Week
15% off for Fast Running Blog members at St. George Running Center!



Member Since:

Feb 10, 2007



Goal Type:

Local Elite

Running Accomplishments:

I was an 800/1500 runner in high school and college, with PRs of 1:55 and 4:08. I've run as fast as 16:15 for 5k and 1:20 for a half, but my bests in recent years are 17:07 5k (Dec. '11), 37:40 10k (Jan. '12), 1:23:49 half (Sept. '08), 2:53:12 marathon (September '10), and 4:45:06 50k (March '10).

Short-Term Running Goals:

Late 2015/2016 races: 

— Seattle Soltice 10k (Dec. 19)

— Nookachamps half marathon (Jan. 16)

— Toyko Marathon (Feb. 28) 


I'm an editor at a newspaper in Bremerton, Washington and head coach of the Bremerton Jaguars youth track and field team.

Miles:This week: 0.00 Month: 0.00 Year: 0.00
Total Distance
Race: Roots Rock Fishline 25k (15.5 Miles) 02:04:59, Place overall: 3
Total Distance

Craziest race I've ever run this morning. Mike, Brian and I went up early to the North Kitsap OPG logging trails, where the Poulsbo Running people put on their trail race series. This is the first one of the year, it's a 25k fundraiser for a food bank (so it's free). You just park your car on the side of the road, sign in on a sheet, take off with everybody else (the start is a guy saying 'Um, alright, let's go') and record your own time when you finish. If you want, do another lap for 50k. So pretty relaxed. The great thing about those trails (in a way) is that they just wind all around, from gravel roads to dirt paths to technical single-track. And every Roots Rock course is different, so you don't really know the course. They mark turns with flour and orange ties on the trees. 

So we take off in a pretty decent rain at 7:30, when it's still kind of dark. Kind of a nasty way to start Sunday morning. By mile two the rain is real light snow, which was kind of peaceful and not as bad for the footing. By 40 minutes in the snow was heavy, huge flakes in our faces, and it didn't let up at all. We were just sloshing through the course, hoping not to miss the turns. Mike and I were a few back of the leaders and just watching their footprints to see where to go. It was an adventure, especially the uphill portions (and there were a lot in the first 2/3 of the course, pretty much solid up and down).

At the 1:40 mark I was feeling good, and we could see two guys ahead on long stretches. I had a gu and left Mike to go after those guys, not quite knowing how many miles we had left. I caught the first guy pretty quickly, then the other guy five minutes later. After that I could only see one set of footprints, but the snow was a good 3 inches deep everywhere, and the rutted parts of trail were swamps. But the course was on a little plateau by then, and had flattened out. Even though I was cold my legs felt outstanding, and I still had plenty of energy. I started to pour it on a bit more, sensing the finish. I ended up taking one wrong turn (noticed when there were no more footprints), which luckily met up with the correct route. The race director took the same mistake (huh?) and told me we ran an extra 100m or so. The guy behind gained a bit of ground, so that inspired me to hammer in the last 800m or so. Came in at a pretty good clip, felt great but soaked and cold. I figured I was second, but two guys had signed the book. One guy really was flying, 1:48. The other was four minutes ahead of me. Grabbed a cup of coffee, cookie and lukewarm bowl of soup, then ran to the truck to change into dry clothes. I couldn't feel my right middle finger for 45 minutes after the race, I think that might be a problem. It was the weirdest race finish, no one waited around at all. People hit the finish, wrote their time, caught their breath for 15 seconds and split. It was dumping snow by then, and everyone was getting out of there. Cool down was sitting in the truck waiting for the other guys, and walking into Starbucks. Naturally, the sun is out now and the snow's melted away. Great timing for those two races this weekend, I hope the weather gods notice my dedication. I'm taking tomorrow off and sleeping in. 2:04:59 total.

pearl izumi trail

Total Distance

Just an easy three miles on the treadmill. I didn't eat dinner last night after a long, rough day at work, and just didn't have anything in me this morning. So I stretched my legs out and called it quits. I'll try to rest up for tomorrow and get a better run in. 24:00

Add Comment
Total Distance

Finally a weekly workout, and I did it at the Y so I could watch basketball mid-day. 1.5 warm up at 7:53 pace, then 3 miles of tinman tempo (6:58). Then 1 mile cool down at 7:45. Felt really good. I could have kept up the tempo at least another mile, which is a positive sign for this time of the year. 

supernova red --  351

Add Comment
Total Distance

I worked until 12:15 a.m. this morning, a 15-hour Friday (though I snuck home for two hours in the after learning how late I'd be staying there, to at least give my feeble brain a rest). So I was glad that Mike wanted to skip the early Slug run and meet this group in Silverdale at 7:30 (what a concept, leave when the sun has come up). It was a cold morning, really foggy at my house but clear up there on Dyes Inlet. 30 degrees at the start but we chanced it and dressed lightly, and it warmed up once the sun was up. 

We took the Clear Creek Trial out to Trigger Avenue, then crossed Highway 3. I usually loop back on the trail. From Trigger we went toward the Bangor gate, then hung a left on Clear Creek Road and turned south. There's a decent little hill right at the turn, then you cruise mostly downhill. We went past Anderson and Newberry, dropped this other guy off at Newberry, then turned again at El Dorado and came back to the Silverdale Waterfront on Silverdale Way. Traffic was picking up by then, it was nice to be done. 

Different people in that group estimated the distance between 10.3 to 10.6, so I'm not totally sure. No mile markers. We ran for 1:19:00, which would be 7:31 miles (assuming it's 10.5, which is my best estimate). The one mile that we could clock on the course was 7:15 (at about the halfway point), so I'm not sure where the slow miles would have been. It felt consistent, and Mike and I usually run faster than 7:30s. Felt pretty good, I was kind of sluggish from work but my legs were alright until closer to the end. Good mileage week, finally up over 30, which makes up for the past two. I'll stay above that for a few weeks and creep towards 40/50 as the marathon gets closer.

supernova red -- 361

Add Comment
Total Distance
Debt Reduction Calculator

Featured Announcements
Web fastrunningblog.com
New Kids on the Blog
(need a welcome):
Lone Faithfuls
(need a comment):